Saturday, October 29, 2011

Kindergarteners, first days...

           “What if I oversleep?” Happens.
           “What if I forget where the bathroom is?” Happens.
           “What if I pee my pants?” Happens.
           “What if my mom doesn’t know where I am?” Happens.
           “What if the teacher doesn’t like me?” Happens.
            “What if I never see my friend Luke?” Happens.
           “What if I fall asleep in school?” Happens.
           “What if someone beats me up?” Happens.
           “What if kids make fun of me?” Happens.
           “What if no one likes me?” Happens.
           “Pssst. Don’t tell on me, okay.”

These little September mustangs differ immensely from the bridled crop of the following June.

Two kindergartens: same day, same school, same classroom.  A.M. kindergarten is taught by a quality teacher and 2 parent volunteers. Students are quietly engaged, and learning.  P.M. kindergarten is chaos as students play/wrestle under the desks. Their teacher is scheduling tutoring sessions with parents in the back of the room. No aides. No learning.

Primary grades craft all future sequential learning. Flunk kindergarten and pupil stumbles/struggles forever. Teachers need to get the education right at the get-go!  No excuses.

If your child is not at grade level knowledge, make noise, serious noise. Professionals posture but in the face of $$$ and votes, waffle.  Students have no vote, no lobby, no recourse ...only parents.

Fact!  Children of involved parents get much more positive classroom attention/assistance.  Fact!

Well-meaning parents have tutors on speed-dial. Assume their child is deficient, to blame for failing.  But the mainstreamed student is guaranteed the right to free, public education, is tested able to learn, and wants to learn. If some educators score success, all should!

Next:
“I’m dumb, dumb! Everyone else in the class gets this math and I don’t.” The adorable and affable second grader tears. “I didn’t get it last year and I don’t get it this year. I hate science, I hate math, and I hate school!” Frankie.

No comments:

Post a Comment